Sunday, January 27, 2008

San Francisco Rainy Days

I was in San Francisco last week. it was great spending MLK day at home because it made for a short week. It managed to be dry for most of the week with some few patches of rain then comes Friday!

I left the hotel in the rain and walked about 2 blocks from the Hilton on O'Farrell and it was raining hard enough for me to get an umbrella at Rite Aid. Even though I had a ponytail and no real hair style to mess up I needed some cover because I was getting a little cranky.

Made it another 2 couple of blocks to my dentist appointment. Another reason to be cranky because the appointment was at 8am and I got there at 8:20am. It was a bit of slow going in the rain and due to the wind some of the spokes on my umbrella were showing signs of wear. Also, 8am appointments are not exactly what I like doing on a Friday.

After the dentist I turned in the direction of work. I walked 2 blocks from Pine across Market to Mission by the time I got to Mission, the umbrella was on its last legs. More than half of the spokes were bent and my beautiful big umbrella was practically no more!

I managed to make it to office with half an umbrella. After spending about an hour in the office I had to head back to Kearny to make another meeting mercifully the shuttle was available. The umbrella was messed up so I left it behind.

I had to make it back to my office for another meeting in 45 minutes. This move to another building is killing me. It is great exercise but now we have to put walk time on our calendars to make sure we are not late for other meetings. Anyway, I leave the meeting late and miss the shuttle so I have to hoof it back. I walked 3 blocks almost to Mission and 2nd and I am horribly soaked. I duck into Walgreen's for yet another umbrella. This time I buy one that has some resilience and is wide enough to knock lesser beings off the side walk.

I make it back to the office cranky for having spent $27 on umbrellas (not including tax). Forget the "latte factor" I am experiencing the "umbrella factor"! Which means I will not be independently wealthy by the time I am 40 or 45. Oh yeah, my kiddie dream was to retire at 45 I don't think I will be able to do that spending $27 on umbrellas!

1 comment:

TK said...

Oh my! You will recall that I almost worked in The City on Thursday . . . then Friday, but, for lack of sleep, thought it best to stay in the East Bay. Sounds like it was a smart move on my part. $27 in umbrellas in one day!

Google