Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Getting my Dad a laptop !@!#$%! Frys.com

I took one look at my Dad's laptop when we were New York and decided it was time for him to get a new one. I am all for saving money but carrying a full keyboard because the one on your laptop is broken and hefting all of that from Cameroon to Baltimore then onto New York is ridiculous. Hence, new laptop for Daddy.

Next the search. For a while, at least for a week and a half I was enamored with the ASUS Eee laptop that runs Linux and weighs 2lbs and at a price tag of $399 it was a no brainer. Then I seriously considered how my Dad would adjust to using Linux's word processing system instead of MS word and transferring between machines. Ugh. So, scrap the ASUS and its lovely price tag, may consider it for myself.

Next John does some hunting and we settle on a Compaq laptop which is very close to his slow dying Toshiba being sold on Frys.com. We have lift off. John puts in all the purchasing details all is good and I get an email on the 1/11 acknowledging the order has been received. So far so good.

John checks on the 12th. The thing has not shipped yet. so I call to find out what's the hold up. I get a lovely lady telling me there is some issue between my billing and shipping address. Ok, they need to verify that I ordered and I really want to ship to my Dad. No worries, I verify the information all is good again.

On Tuesday the 15th it still had not shipped it indicates "processing". What's up with that. I call again and this time i get an equally lovely Gentleman who apologizes profusely and says the order was never released. I complain about the fact that it was not released and he adds he will let his supervisor know and he is so so very sorry. Unfortunately they can't make a Wednesday delivery as previously planned but it is looking like roses for Thursday. Ok, loss of a day but no biggie. Daddy is leaving next week so there is still time.

Now, I am a little paranoid so a couple of hours later I check my email and guess what there is an email saying the order was cancelled due to discrepancies with either my shipping or billing address. Huh! Now I am a little pissed! It takes a while but I too can get there!

I call up yet again and this time I get Ms. Patsy on the phone took a deep breath and explained the situation. Patsy was just as nice as the previous gentleman I am so sorry ... I don't understand what is going on .. the only thing I can do for you is take the order again over the phone. Since I don't want the order to get "lost" I decide to be nice as well. we go through the paces of re-entering the information. New order number and everything. She asks if he will be there to sign or the package, of course where else would he be? Sorry that is my anger talking.

As we wait for some computer magic to happen Patsy compliments me on giving my Dad such a nice gift and says she does the same for her Dad and she had a great childhood being a child of divorce. He dad doesn't like her to buy gift for him even though she loves to. He used to fly them from Houston to New Orleans sometimes for Christmas. Her husband's name is Johnson like my Dad and he is from Nigeria. OMG, what a small world I am from Cameroon! Tick tock tick tock. At least it wasn't hold music and she was very nice. Order is all done. Now we wait.

I get off the phone with the delightful Patsy who promises to give the order directly to the supervisor for processing. Good. In the meantime I have become an expert at hitting the refresh button on my email to see if I get and update. So far, I have received 2 more emails acknowledging my recent order (they both have the new order number thank God!). She was true to her word. but the real question is will they ship the blasted laptop already!!!! In another hour I will grow impatient and call them up!

Next time either Amazon.com or Buy.com forget Frys.com aka Outpost.com. 5 days to straighten out an order! Where is the efficiency! Humph! I need to go take a walk 'cuz I am still steaming!

No comments:

Google