Sunday, April 27, 2008

Hamamori Restaurant Lounge


About two weekends ago on Sunday we went to Hamamori Restaurant Lounge on the second floor the South Coast Plaza Mall. It was hard to believe it was a restaurant in a mall! The decor was adorned with exquisite crystal chandeliers. The seating was very very comfortable white leather chairs. Our table overlooked Bear street but there was a certain sense of serenity and real detachment from the mall-headed cars below.

The food feels like Japanese bistro-like. We started with Sushi which was rather expensive we had 2 Abacore, 2 Salmon, and 4 Unagi (my favorite) all $2.50 - $3.00 apiece -- a little on the expensive side.

For entrees John had Tamari Marinated Black Cod ($24) and I had the Kobe Hamburger Steak ($20). Both dishes were very well done. The cod was flaky with just right doneness and the Kobe hamburger steak was very tender. I had it well done because I can't stand underdone meat -- I apologize to all the Kobe beef purists out there. The next question you ask is why then do you eat some raw fish? My answer to that is my favorite sushi is unagi which is cooked and the only raw fish I can seem to handle is salmon and the various kinds of Tuna -- my limit on the raw is about 4 - 6 pieces and not so good things begin to happen. My least favorite is Uni (sea urchin) ugh! The consitency is horribly slimy. John eats it shrugs and says it tastes of the harbor what is the big deal. 'Nuff said. Fish I can swallow meat I have to chew --therin lies the difference.

In all, hamburger steak simply melted in my mouth and the fish did the same in its own fashion. The sauces with both dishes were delightful but sparse so I was one step away from licking my plate! The sushi was incredibly fresh and well made.

The restaurant finally filled up once we had been there for about 45 minutes. The service was great and I did not make a fool of myself with chopsticks. We did make a mess of the white table cloth. There were soy sauce rings of various shapes on it to commemorate the slipping of one of the sushi pieces out of the grip of the chop sticks and splashing into the awaiting soy sauce dish. Can't take us anywhere!

Overall, great restaurant, wonderful seating, decor, service, and food. Somewhat expensive. I would eat the sushi part of my meal at Sushi Mimi anyday. $2.50 a piece for sushi?!?!?! Highway robbery. Dinner can run $75+ per person so it is a good place for a celebratory dinner. Who would have thought fine dining in a mall?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds really yummy, J! I love how your describe things.

I had a burger for lunch.. I eat burgers about 2x/year, and your blog reminded me of lunch. Which I ate 1 hour ago. This makes no sense.
I need a nap.
zzzz

Google