Saturday, February 23, 2008

Let's go Outback Tonight

Well, we went to outback for dinner tonight. Did not want to cook and had a hankering for Steak. Considering the week I had I felt like I deserved it. With back-to-back meetings on Friday and all but dead projects roaring back to life with ruddy cheeks and all, I was in the mood for some red meat without a lot of fuss. After l blasted off my last email for today and shut down before any others miraculously appeared from ether, we set course for Le Outback. Maude our trusted navigator was in tow and we were off to the faraway lands of Costa Mesa with Maude's help. 15 minutes later we were there and trying to figure out how to drive into the parking lot. You would think 2 educated people would figure it out but it took one miss and a drive around the block to get into the lot.

Anyway, that ordeal over, we proceeded to order the crab cakes and coconut shrimp. Had to take care of immediate hunger pangs. The crab cakes were, well, forgettable. The coconut shrimp, on the other hand, were huge and tasty and were 8 on the plate. After wolfing two in haste I decided the batter was too sweet and peeled it off. Ahhh so much better. I did not dare dunk in the nasty marmalade-like sauce everyone serves with coconut shrimp -- that stuff is dreadful. In my humble opinion. I found an alternative: the spicy mustard sauce that came with the crab cakes. Yumm! John thinks I am crazy because I never eat anything as it is served and I really can't stand sweet sauces. Not long after he raised a questioning eye brow at my antics he ushered forth the king of all grimaces. My turn to raise an eyebrow. He said the shrimp tasted funny -- I, of course, am convinced it is marmalade stuff -- yeech! It is only after he has downed his shrimp and tastes the sauce alone that he realizes the sauce is no so good. I, mistress of the last word, go completely mum with a smile. There are sometimes you just know when to shut up.

Enter the steaks. I am making up for a long 4-day work week so I go for fatty and tasty: our friend the rib eye. John goes for the NY steak. I am a well done kinda person and John goes for medium rare. You immediately see why we are meant for each other. A match like no other. We are looking deeply into each others eyes when the steaks arrive. This is no time for romance it is time to eat. I cut into mine and I see red, didn't she, with all the good service flairs, specifically ask me if I wanted no pink? She sure did and I did not have a frog in my throat, which has plagued me all day, when I confirmed I wanted no pink. I do not like seeing blood on my plate -- i want NO obvious reminders this was a living mammal. I swear if someone served me half cooked meat for 5 days I would become a vegetarian or maybe it more that I won't eat beef again.

I sent it back to the kitchen to get burnt to a crisp while I watched John eat and I picked on his fries. When my steak emerged once more from the kitchen, it was well well done just like I like it. John shook his head like he always does practically convinced that I am doing the steak a misdeed by having it cooked to an inch of its former self. My answer to that is it is my piece of meat.

Alas I could not finish the 14oz piece even after barely touching my rice. I need to rethink my restaurant ordering strategy! John cleaned his plate. His appetite is simply amazing. He has this way of making one feel like the best cook.

She, queen of the flairs, asked if we wanted desert. I thought at that moment she was truly unobservant! I thought I looked one step way from a food coma between 2 hefty glasses of pink "lemonade", a burst at the seams steak (which by the way I did not finish) you think she would get the hint. I think I gave her something very close to the evil eye and she quickly backed off and indicated she would bring our check right away. Now she is eager to kick us out! Well, we're ready to go anyway, so there!

No leftovers for me!

Maude helped us figure out how to get home since she happened to be very aware we were in dire need of assistance. As for Outback, I think I'll let 2-3 yeas go by again before I am ready.

No comments:

Google