Thursday, July 5, 2007

Huntington Beach July 4th Parade

This is the first time I made a decision to watch the 4th of July parade ever. I was looking forward to seeing all the marching bands and interesting groups that decide to march. John mentioned a couple of days earlier people had begun to stake out their territory on the parade route -- kind of reminds me of Mardi Gras in New Orleans -- who knew the HB parade was so popular.


The morning started off slow a day off in the middle of the week is a great excuse to sleep late. The fact that the parade was happening from 10am to 12pm kind of get us going. I was so keen on seeing this parade I left the house without earrings! I may not wear make up but I will not leave the house without earrings! Well, I broke my own rule. So, me and my earringless self went out in search of the parade with John trailing a little ways behind.

The tail end of the parade route was about 4 - 5 city/country blocks away so we walked. It was overcast so it was actually pleasant. We got there at about 11am but it appears we missed some of the big marching bands which was a bummer but there was still plenty to see. There were actually lots of people out to see the parade with their kids.

Lots of people and a glimpse of the marching band with the yellow feathers
Lots of horses from miniatures ...


To stallions Cowboys -- nothing sexier than a man with a lasso. Yee haw!

Some jiggerbug or is it jitterbug? This couple danced right in front of us what a treat!


He was waiting for his lady ...


Our military and veterans:



This caterpillar backfired loud enough after it was done with the parade that it nearly sent people sprawling to the ground in cover!

Fire engines

Even ones with John's name!

Some interesting sounding bands ....


Local personalities I know very little or nothing about ...

David Crockett ...


The bus from the local college. Hmm wonder if their curriculum is more updated than the bus especially since I plan to try them out this fall ...

And the Shriners of course
And scouts a la Huntington Beach

The local meter maid was busy writing tickets ...

Leaving the parade in style

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice pictures! But why no pictures of the man writing out parking tickets - very unamerican!

JJ said...

There is a picture of him except I called him a "maid". The 3rd to the last picture he is in the center of the shot. Not the best pic though.

Google