Sunday, October 28, 2007

French 75 Restaurant

Well, I am recuperating from being in San Francisco last week on the heels of being in England the week before. Needless to say I have done nothing remotely domestic this weekend other than look at the pile of newspapers in the living room and think to myself "I really ought to throw those away" and not lifting a finger to do that.

Our adventure for the weekends was going to French 75 in the Fashion Island mall. Last night, I cooked and I did not have the heart to repeat the splendid performance tonight so we went out. After much bickering about where to go we ended up at French 75. I was a little skeptical because the review I read on CitySearch.com was not very flattering.

French 75 is a chain of French restaurants mainly located in malls. Once you are in the door you forget you are in a mall because the lighting is romantic and dim. What I will rave about is the food. To keep our costs down, we wend for the summer 5-7pm menu which is $29 for 3 courses. We both started out with the Shrimp Casoulette. It was heavenly. Shrimp in a creamy mustard sauce. It was hard to stop eating and sopping up the sauce with the really warm french bread that was served.

Next, I had the flat iron steak with french fries and John had the rotisserie chicken with fries as well. Though I asked for my steak well done it came out a little pink -- I ate it anyway. It came smothered in a peppercorn sauce (the French and their sauces!) which was very good the other option was the bearnaise sauce which I don't like. I can't stand eggs benedict -- bearnaise hollandaise very similar and not me.

We finished off diner with a creme brulee for me and a chocolate souffle for him. Very nicely done. They split the souffle at the table and poured in some liquid chocolate then put on a dollop of cream and poured some more chocolate. Hmmm very delicious.

Even though I paced myself I was quite stuffed. All in all a very good way to end a lazy weekend.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, it was nice, but it was not very French! Cassoulet normally is with some beans no? Anyway, it was good enough to try again...

Love,
John

Google