Thursday, December 13, 2007

Cultural Anthropology Final

After database marketing conferencing in Las Vegas and using none of my time wisely since Sunday, John and I came home last night. I had an ambitious plan: eat dinner, finish my self assessment (by midnight), and really study for the final. We landed at John Wayne airport at 8:30pm so I had at most 3 hours to accomplish the first 2 items. First: dinner.

John said he was starving, I on the other hand was not hungry but had a craving for the most evil thing on earth nachos. Closest Mexican food chain: Rubios. I got a nachos grande with chicken John had the burrito supreme. Between the carbo load, the beans, the cheese, and the guacamole I am sleepy but I press on. We get home at about 10pm and I immediately retire upstairs to the "office" to get cracking.

Would you know I submitted my self assessment for work at 11:59pm! Cutting it a little close -- it was due on the 12th and by God I was going to deliver it on the 12th even if it was a stroke away from the 13th!

Next task: study for anthropology. Topics for final are: world systems, region and magic, globalization and colonialism, and politico-economic organization. The best way to study on short notice is to rewrite your notes in sound bites at least in my case. I did that till 1am and tried to read more and finally gave up the fight by succumbing to eyelid cinema somewhere around 2am.

By the way, last Saturday, for extra credit, we had to turn in 10 five option questions with a maximum of 2 true or false questions in the mix.

Fast forward to this morning. Alarm rings at 7am and I jump out of bed as I normally do. I put the alarm on because there was no way I was going to wake up unassisted this morning! If I were to try my normal method of rise and shine I will be rushing to class at the last minute to see the prof close the door and walk away. Well, washed my face threw on some jeans and a sweater kissed John good morning and rush out the door.

The other thing to keep in mind is since I could not take the class with my group on Tuesday because I was out of town for the conference I asked if I could take it with his 8am class at a different campus I have never been to. So, I am bleary eyed, no decaf drinks, new campus, and a final on my mind.

With some pre-planning last night I have a map of the campus, I take Maude (the GPS), and my determination and we find the campus and building and room with few issues. Final starts at 8am or really 8:05am for quorum gathering and we are off to the races. I try hard to be the last person to leave by checking the answers I stumbled on and checking my whole test. I was the 3rd to last to leave -- I tell him it was a pleasure and shake Dr. Davidson's hand and at 8:50pm. I am calling John who is on the way to the airport to fly to New Orleans to make a presentation at a conference. He is stunned it is over so quickly.

With questions about imitative religion, mana (the impersonal force that exists everywhere, shamans, the evil of world systems, revitalization movement, cults, liberalism and neo liberalism, white man's burden, etc there is only so much you can check your test. I have done my part now it is time for the grading machine to do its part!
Here is a testament that I was in Orange Coast College this morning.


Next challenge: hand in a 3rd of a movie (30 pages) for screen writing class tonight!!!

No comments:

Google